Our Church History
Our congregation was established and organized at the home of Mrs. S. A. Turner
First House of Worship
The first house of worship was erected on the corner of main and State Streets
First Church Dedication
Dedicated early in the summer of 1865.
First Fire Destroys Church
In January of 1874, the first church was destroyed by fire.
Second Church Dedication
In 1874, on the same lot, a brick veneer building was erected.
This church was dedicated on November 19, 1876
Second Fire Destroys Church
Fire destroyed this second church in December of 1890.
Third Church Erected and Dedicated
A third church
an impressive Romanesque-styled edifice of brick and stone was erected, dedicated on the first anniversary of the fire, December 22, 1891
The Romanesque-styled church was used until 1961 when the present church was built
Our Church House
Ellis House Purchased
Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Holt, dedicated members, purchased the Ellis House, located across the street from the third Presbyterian Church and gave it to our church and built a large addition.
Ellis Complex Burned Down
The complex, which contained the church office, Sunday School rooms, a pool room, a bowling alley, a gymnasium with a stage and a kitchen and served as the community social/recreational center, burned down in 1959.